October is Fall Car Care Month! To help you keep your import in tip-top shape, we have rounded up some of the best import care and maintenance tips from the experts at Car Care Aware. Take a look at these recommendations, make a list of to-dos, and check them off before winter wreaks its usual havoc!
Heating, Wipers & Lights
- Make sure heaters, defrosters, and wipers work properly.
- Consider winter wiper blades and use cold-weather washer fluid. As a general rule, wiper blades should be replaced every six months.
- Check to see that all exterior and interior lights work and headlights are properly aimed.
Tires & Brakes
- Check the tire tread depth and tire pressure of all tires, including the spare. If snow and ice are a problem in your area, consider special tires designed to grip slick roads.
- During winter, tire pressure should be checked weekly.
- Have the brakes checked. The braking system is the vehicle’s most important safety item.
Gas, Oil & Filters
- Keep your gas tank at least half full throughout the cold weather to prevent moisture from forming in gas lines and possibly freezing.
- Be diligent about changing the oil and filter at recommended intervals. Dirty oil can spell trouble in winter. Consider changing to “winter weight” oil if you live in a cold climate.
- Check the fuel, air and transmission filters at the same time.
System Checks – Charging, Cooling & Exhaust
- Have the battery and charging system checked, as cold weather is hard on batteries.
- Clean, flush and put new antifreeze in the cooling system. As a rule of thumb, this should be done every two years.
- Have the exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks, which can be especially dangerous during cold weather driving when windows are closed.
Pack the Essentials
- Make sure that your ice scraper and snow brush are accessible and ready to use.
- Stock an emergency kit with jumper cables, a flashlight, blankets, extra clothes, bottled water, nonperishable food and a first aid kit with any needed medication.
- Download the official Car Care guide from the Car Care Council!
Happy Car Care Month from Rolf’s Import Auto!
*All tips from the Car Care Council.